- 1 beef brisket (about 4-5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons Montreal steak seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups beef stock
- ½ cup HP sauce
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 6 bay leaves
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, drained and crushed by hand
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Rinse brisket, then pat brisket dry using paper towels
- Season the brisket on all sides with Montreal steak seasoning.
- Dredge the brisket in ½ cup flour.
- Heat oil in large cast iron skillet (14 inches) or Dutch oven.
- Cook the brisket, searing on each side, until browned, about 18-20 minutes.
- Add stock, HP sauce, celery salt, poultry seasoning, bay leaves, carrots, onions, celery and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Cover, transfer to oven, and cook until brisket is tender, about 4 hours.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Use pan juices to make gravy to pour over brisket, if desired.
The original recipe for this perfect pot roast can be found here.