- 1 bag (16 ounces) dried split peas
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound cooked ham, diced
- Salt, to taste
- Sort through the peas, picking out any debris, then rinse and drain well.
- In a large stock pot, combine the peas, broths, parsley and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, then simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Stir in the celery, carrots, onion, pepper and thyme. Cover and simmer 45 minutes more.
- Add the ham to the soup and cook uncovered until thickened and the peas have broken down, about 30 minutes more.
- Discard the bay leaf, season with salt, then serve.
The original recipe for this tasty, hearty soup can be found here.