- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons plain or all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 stick butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, cook the frozen vegetables according to package directions, then drain and set aside.
- In a large cat iron skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté until just barely tender (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the chicken broth, salt, pepper, and flour and stir until well combined.
- Stir in the cream and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture has thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the vegetables and chicken to the cream mixture and set aside.
- For the topping, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the milk, melted butter and eggs and stir until smooth.
- Fold in the cheese and drained corn until evenly blended.
- Spoon the cornbread mixture on top of the chicken filling and spread it to the edges of the pan.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until the cornbread is lightly brown on top.
- Serve hot.
The original recipe for this amazing pot pie can be found here.