- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into about 1-1/2-inch pieces.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium mushroom or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 container (6 ounces) French’s fried onions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- In a stock pot, boil green beans in about 3 to 4 quarts of water until fork tender.
- Drain the green beans and pour them into the prepared baking dish.
- In the same pot (rinsed and dried), melt the butter and sauté the onions and mushrooms until the mushrooms have release their juice.
- Add in the garlic and sauté for about another minute.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and onions and mix until it is absorbed.
- Whisk in the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the heavy cream and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Pour sauce over green beans, then add 1/2 cup of the fried onions and toss well to combine.
- Transfer the pan to the preheated oven and bake for 20 about minutes or until green beans reach desired doneness.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the remaining fried onions on top.
- Return to the oven and bake for about another 5 minutes or until golden brown.
The original recipe for this incredible casserole can be found here.