- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cooked basmati rice
- In a large pot with a tight-fitting lid, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add in onions, garlic and ginger and sauté until onions are soft and garlic and ginger are fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in broth, cinnamon, salt, cumin, garam masala and turmeric and stir until well combined.
- Stir in the butter and tomato paste, and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add in chicken and stir until coated.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in lemon juice and heavy cream.
- Return to a simmer and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve butter chicken over basmati rice and top with fresh cilantro, if desired.
The original recipe for this easy Indian-inspired dish can be found here.