- 6 large apples, peeled and cored
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1-1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Chop up the apples into cubes (roughly 1 inch) and place in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle the apples with lemon juice and vanilla extract, toss to coat, then evenly spread into the bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the oat mixture is crumbly (use your fingers if necessary).
- Sprinkle the oat mixture evenly over the top of the apples.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until the apples are tender and the top is browned and looks crunchy.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for about 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped topping, or both.