- 1 box (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Adobo seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 block (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 3/4 cup Frank’s RedHot sauce
- 2-1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan or large (5 to 7 quarts) Dutch oven or casserole dish.
- In a medium pot, cook macaroni until al dente according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour to the melted butter and whisk until smooth, cooking for about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk (about 1 cup at a time) and spices until combined, and bring to a boil.
- Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat, allowing the mixture to a simmer until it is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low , then add in the cream cheese and shredded cheeses, whisking until they are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Add the hot sauce and stir.
- Carefully stir in the shredded chicken and pasta noodles until everything is well coated with the sauce.
- Pour the mac and cheese mixture into the prepared baking vessel.
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter and oil over medium heat, stirring until melted.
- Add in the breadcrumbs until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Use a spoon to sprinkle the breadcrumbs mixture over the prepared mac and cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until the breadcrumb topping is golden brown.
- Serve hot alongside a salad or steamed vegetables.
The recipe I followed to create this incredibly tasty and cheesy dish can be found here.