- 1 loaf (14 ounces) French bread, cubed
- 3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) butter
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 8 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in brown sugar until dissolved and mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture into the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and spread evenly.
- Add bread cubes to the pan, spreading over the top of the brown sugar and butter mixture.
- In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of bread cubes, making sure all pieces of bread are saturated.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the top.
- Cover the pan and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until top is golden brown.
- Divide onto serving plates/bowls and sprinkle with powdered sugar and a drizzle of syrup, if desired.
The original recipe for this tasty take on French toast can be found here.
One thought on “French Toast Casserole”