- 1 heaping cup whole raw almonds
- 2-1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread almonds on a small baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 15 minutes, stirring once while baking.
- Remove almonds from oven and allow to cool (save the parchment lined baking sheet).
- Coarsely chop almonds and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugars.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, then stir in olive oil, extracts and zest.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just incorporated.
- Fold in chopped almonds.
- Spoon the dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheet in two separate vertical lines.
- Form the two lines of dough into logs and flatten slightly.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until firm and golden brown in color.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the biscotti to a cutting board and, using a serrated bread knife, slice it at an angle about 3/4 inches thick.
- Place the slices back on the baking sheets, broad side down, and return them to the oven for about another 10 minutes.
- Flip the cookies over and bake another 10 to 15 minutes (the longer they bake, the crunchier they will be).
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
The original recipe for these delightful biscotti can be found here.