- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 can or bottle (12 ounces) witbier or light beer of your choice
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) melted butter, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a bread loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add in sugar, beer and 1/4 cup melted butter and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan.
- Pour remaining 1/4 cup of melted butter over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the loaf from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
The original recipe for this simple, yet hearty bread can be found here.