- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sourdough starter (discard works just fine)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and prepare muffin tins (grease or line) or silicone muffin cups. This recipe will make about 15 muffins.
- Mix the crumb topping ingredients in a small bowl, blending by hand or with a fork until crumbly.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, brown sugar and sourdough starter.
- Add the sourdough mixture to the dry ingredients and gently fold in until the flour is mostly dissolved, making sure not to over mix.
- Fold in the carrots until evenly mixed throughout; the batter will be thick.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling about 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle about 1-1/2 tablespoons of the crumb topping over the top of each muffin.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes. Turn the heat down to 350 degrees (don’t open the door) and cook for 15-20 minutes longer, until the muffins are lightly browned and cooked through.
The original recipe for these amazing muffins can be found here.