- 6 medium white potatoes
- 8-10 strips of bacon, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Adobo seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1-1/2 cups mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and place a piece of aluminum foil on a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Pierce the potatoes multiple times, place them on the foil in the oven and bake for about 1 hour or until fork tender.
- Remove potatoes from oven, allow to cool, then peel and chop into bite-sized chunks.
- Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, cook the bacon until crisp, then remove with a slotted spoon, reserving the grease in the pot.
- To the bacon grease, add the butter, onions and garlic, and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until onions are tender and translucent.
- Whisk the flour into the pan, cooking and stirring for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Gradually add in the milk and heavy cream, whisking after each addition until smooth.
- Stir in the broth, salt, Adobo, pepper and chives, and bring to a light simmer.
- Keep the soup at a light simmer until the mixture has thickened slightly, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese, bacon and sour cream, stirring well until the cheese has melted.
- Add the potatoes into the pot, and continue cooking until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot, topped with oyster crackers or your favorite baked potato garnishes, if desired.
The original recipe for this satisfying soup can be found here.
One thought on “Loaded Baked Potato Soup”