- 6 medium white potatoes
- 8-10 strips of bacon, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Adobo seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1-1/2 cups mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and place a piece of aluminum foil on a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Pierce the potatoes multiple times, place them on the foil in the oven and bake for about 1 hour or until fork tender.
- Remove potatoes from oven, allow to cool, then peel and chop into bite-sized chunks.
- Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, cook the bacon until crisp, then remove with a slotted spoon, reserving the grease in the pot.
- To the bacon grease, add the butter, onions and garlic, and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until onions are tender and translucent.
- Whisk the flour into the pan, cooking and stirring for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Gradually add in the milk and heavy cream, whisking after each addition until smooth.
- Stir in the broth, salt, Adobo, pepper and chives, and bring to a light simmer.
- Keep the soup at a light simmer until the mixture has thickened slightly, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese, bacon and sour cream, stirring well until the cheese has melted.
- Add the potatoes into the pot, and continue cooking until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot, topped with oyster crackers or your favorite baked potato garnishes, if desired.
The original recipe for this satisfying soup can be found here.