- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons white sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 large egg, separated
- Prepare two large baking sheets, lining each of them with parchment paper or silicone baking pads.
- In a small bowl, combine the water and 2 tablespoons sugar, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the yeast to the sugar water and let sit until foamy, about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and remaining sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sourdough starter and egg yolk; whisk the egg white lightly and reserve in the refrigerator.
- Pour yeast and sourdough mixtures over the flour mixture, and stir or knead with your hands until dough starts to form and all dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead into a smooth ball.
- Oil the inside of a large bowl, place the dough inside and cover with a cloth. Let rise for about 2 hours.
- Punch down dough and divide into 12 portions.
- Roll the dough out into small balls, then shape into 3- to 4-inch-long sticks.
- Divide the bread sticks between the two prepared pans. Cover with cloths and let rest for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake the breadsticks in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove one pan at a time and brush the tops with the reserved egg white.
- Return the pans to to the oven and continue baking until medium brown, about 10 more minutes.
- Enjoy plain alongside your favorite pasta dish, or dip them in marinara or other dipping sauce.
The original recipe for these perfectly soft breadsticks can be found here.