- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1–1/2 tablespoons red curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
- 2 cans ((15 ounces each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Naan bread and cooked jasmine rice, to serve (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-low.
- Add the onions, garlic and crushed red pepper to the pot.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and deep golden, about 15 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium, and add the curry powder and cumin, stirring until toasted, about 1 minute.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and gently scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden or rubber spoon to release the any browned spices or onions stuck to the bottom.
- Add the coconut milk and chickpeas to the pot.
- Stir, reduce heat to low and let simmer until the sauce is thickened and the chickpeas are slightly softened, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and adjust other seasonings as necessary.
- Serve over jasmine rice with naan.
The original recipe for this amazing meatless dish can be found here.