- 1 bag (12 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 1 bag (12 ounces) butterscotch chips
- 1 bag (12 ounces) chow mein noodles
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted peanuts
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chow mein noodles and peanuts.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Place the milk chocolate chips and butterscotch chips in a large glass bowl.
- Fill a saucepan with 2 inches of water and heat until boiling.
- Place the bowl with the baking chips over the saucepan and allow them to melt over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Pour the melted chocolate and butterscotch mixture over the chow mein noodles and peanuts and stir until everything is evenly and well coated.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of the cookie mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and shape into a mound.
- Repeat the process with the remaining cookie mixture until you have about 12-15 stacks.
- Let the cookies sit to firm up (at least an hour) before serving.
- Store the haystack cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days. They also freeze really well.
The original recipe for these deliciously crunchy treats can be found here.