- 2 tablespoons bacon grease or olive oil
- 1 pound ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 bag (8 ounces) spinach, stems removed
- 1 bag (19 ounces) frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- In a large pot, brown the Italian sausage in bacon grease or oil.
- Add in the onion and cook until tender.
- Stir in garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the broth and cook on medium-high heat until it reaches a boil.
- Stir in the spinach and tortellini, cooking until the greens are wilted and the pasta is done.
- Stir in the heavy cream and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, add seasonings and stir until combined.
- Serve hot; garnish with parmesan cheese if desired.
The recipe I loosely followed for this delicious soup can be found here.
One thought on “Zuppa Toscana”