- 1/2 cup (100 grams) active sourdough starter
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon (255 grams) water
- 2 tablespoons (40 grams) honey
- 2 teaspoons (10 grams) fine sea salt
- 4 cups + 2 tablespoons (500 grams) bread flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Water for the water bath
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the sourdough starter, water, honey and salt with a spatula.
- Add the bread flour and use your hands to bring the ingredients together as best as possible. The dough will be very stiff.
- Place the dough hook on the mixer and mix the dough on the lowest speed for 6-7 minutes (or 10 minutes by hand).
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or other bowl cover (I bought a set of shower caps I strictly use as bowl covers) and let rest for 8 to 12 hours at room temperature.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and divide it into 8 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece of dough into a ball.
- Use your finger to poke a hole in the center of the dough, then pick the bagel up and gently spin it around to stretch out and shape it into a ring. Repeat with the remaining seven dough balls.
- After shaping, place the bagels on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cover the bagels with a towel and allow to rise at room temperature for about 1 hour or until they appear puffy.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large pot, bring about 6 cups of water to a boil, then add 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Once the bagels have finished rising, boil them (2 or 3 at a time to prevent overcrowding) for 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the bagels using a strainer or large slotted spoon and return to the baking sheet to cool slightly.
- When cooled enough to handle, add desired toppings (sesame seeds, everything bagel seasoning, poppy seeds, etc.) or leave plain.
- Bake the bagels in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing and eating.
The recipe I followed to make these perfectly dense and delightful bagels can be found here.