- 1 pound bacon, chopped
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar Jack cheese
- In a medium stock pot, cook bacon until crispy.
- Transfer the cooked bacon from the pot to a paper towel lined plate.
- Drain all but about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease from the stock pot.
- To the reserved bacon grease, add the onions and sauté until tender and translucent.
- Add the flour and cayenne pepper to the cooked onions; stir and cook for about 1 minute.
- Gradually add the chicken broth, stirring well after each addition.
- Add the milk and cream, and bring just to a simmer.
- Remove the soup from the heat and add the cheese, stirring until melted and well blended.
- Add the bacon back into the soup and stir.
- Serve hot with crackers or bread (makes a great bread bowl soup).