- 1 pound extra wide egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, sliced into thin, short strips
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine
- 1-1/2 cups mushroom (or vegetable) stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3-1/2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Prepare egg noodles al dente, according to package directions.
- In a large skillet or wok, sauté onions in 1 tablespoon butter until tender.
- Add in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, along with mushrooms and garlic, and continue cooking until the mushrooms are cooked and tender.
- In a bowl or large glass measuring cup, combine the cooking wine, broth and Worcestershire sauce.
- Whisk in the flour until combined and smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the mushrooms, and cook until it reaches a simmer and has thickened slightly.
- Add in the sour cream and thyme, and return to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper (more or less depending on your preference).
- Add in the noodles and stir until peel combined.
- Serve hot.
The original recipe, from which this great Meatless Monday dish was derived, can be found here.