- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon red curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups red lentils
- 1 can (15 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with juices
- Cooked rice
- In a medium stock pot or large saucepan, sauté the onion in oil until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, coriander, garam masala, turmeric and salt.
- Stir to coat onions, garlic and ginger, and cook for 1-2 minutes, until spices are fragrant (stir occasionally to prevent burning).
- Stir in about 1 cup of the broth, using a spatula to scrape all the bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in the rest of the broth, add lentils and diced tomatoes, and stir well.
- Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low, and continue cooking (covered) for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent anything from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Serve over rice with naan bread.
The original recipe for this delightful dish can be found here.