- 1 container (16 ounces) whole fat ricotta cheese
- 1 bag (8 ounces) spinach, large stems removed
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pasta sauce or marinara
- Place the ricotta cheese in a cheese cloth inside a strainer and let sit for about 30 minutes.
- Squeeze excess juices out of the ricotta cheese and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon garlic and sauté until it’s tender.
- Add in the spinach, as well as a pinch of salt and pepper, cooking and stirring until the greens are wilted.
- Place spinach in a strainer, pressing it down with a wooden spoon to squeeze out excess juices.
- Refrigerate spinach for about 30 minutes, and then chop.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, chopped spinach, 2 tablespoons minced garlic, bread crumbs, egg and Italian and parmesan cheeses, mixing well.
- Season with salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, as desired.
- Using your hands, roll the mixture into meatballs of your size preference.
- Heat the pasta sauce in a large saucepan until simmering.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and cook over medium-low heat for about 45 minutes, moving them around and flipping them occasionally.
- Serve the meatballs hot with just the pasta sauce, or over your favorite pasta.
The original recipe for these magnificent meatless meatballs can be found here.