- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 16 ounces uncooked orzo
- 3-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 jar (6.5 ounces) pesto
- 1 tablespoon basil paste
- 15 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 container (6 ounces) small mozzarella balls, drained
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the uncooked orzo and stir, cooking for about a minute.
- Pour in the broth, season with black pepper and add any additional seasonings, as desired.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to simmer, stirring occasionally and cooking for about 10-15 minutes until the orzo is tender (add additional broth as needed if it absorbs before the orzo is finished cooking).
- Once the orzo is cooked and most of the liquid is absorbed, add the sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Stir in the pesto and basil paste until well combined.
- Add the fresh mozzarella balls, stirring to combine.
- Serve immediately with your favorite protein or as is for a perfect Meatless Monday meal.
The original recipe for this wonderfully delicious side dish can be found here.