- 5 ounces (by weight) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 8 ounces (by weight) sourdough discard
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat mini waffle makers
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until completely combined.
- Scoop a little less than 1/4 cup of batter into the waffle maker, spreading out as needed to get to the edges, then close the lid.
- Allow waffles to cook until brown on both sides (or until the amount of steam escaping from the waffle maker decreases greatly), about 3 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, then enjoy with butter or syrup, or use them to build the perfect breakfast sandwich.
- Note: Much like Eggo waffles, these freeze very well (I stack them in quart Ziplock freezer bags), and you can simply place them in the toaster or toaster oven and reheat at your convenience.
The original recipe for these wonderful waffles (which I make at least once a month) can be found here.